Roof cleaning DOs and DON’Ts
- DO use equal parts bleach and water. It’s important to remove not only dirt but any algae or mildew that may be growing.
- DON’T use a power washer on shingles – Power washers are too strong to clean shingles; the force will break them down.
- DO let the bleach and water solution set for up to 20 minutes and then rinse it away with clean water.
- DON’T forget about your plants and shrubbery around your home when rinsing off the cleaning solution. Wet any plants with water and then cover them with plastic to protect them.
- DO clean your roof on a cool day, with cloud coverage and no wind.
- DON’T wait until your roof is covered in algae or moss to clean it. It’s always better to keep your roof clean rather than waiting until it’s a big task.
- DO Hire someone to clean your roof if you are unable to clean it yourself safely.
- DON’T clean your roof without taking proper safety precautions.